19/09/2009

Obama

Had a conversation with my PhD supervisor who is a californian vietnamese of indeterminate sexuality. I commented that I never suspected that the Americans would ever elect Obama as president - that was until I head his oratory. The man is an absolute marvel. He's clearly super intelligent, competant, a brilliant speaker and cuts through the chaff like a scythe. I thought the demoncrats were balmy going for a black man and a woman. Given my impression of the US culture. (Not saying that we here are any better!) I have absolute respect for Mrs Clinton and was gutted when Obama flicked her out of contention. But really never thought the democrats had a chance.
My supervisor's comment, there are those in the US who still can't reconcile that he's president due to the hue of his skin. They can't see how he, from a middle class non-white background could rise to achieve the American dream. I said surely it's to do with the quality of the individual... my supervisor just looked at me and said that I don't quite get the racist thing.
Nope. Don't get racism. Never did really. Must be why I married an Algerian Muslim.

No comments: