10/04/2007

Chocolates, mansions and cousins

We went to Canberra this weekend, as my big brother decided (or was shamed into) visiting the family for the first time in 8 years(!!!). It was evident that I saw more of him in London than I did in the previous 5 years in Oz. Anyway, for better or for worse, most of his family made the trip, with the exception of Adam, who has purchased his first car and was doubtless intent on playing with his new toy.
They appear to be well, both he and Jen have lost weight, which is good.
We stayed at my sister's mansion, a huge 4 bedroom house with a pool room (for playing pool, not swimmng) and not one but two family rooms. K ran around like a mad thing and was plum tuckered out. She slept more than she usually does, which I put down to excitement with the cousins, and running around a house which is probably 5 times bigger than our little space.
My sister's kids are lovely. James is particularly fond of little K and did a brilliant job being on "baby duty". I got a wee bit of a break, thank goodness, but to be honest, not much. I did manage to play an hour of WOW with my sister, which was great fun and actually felt like a holiday, in between K screaming at me to be picked up.
Who said motherhood was easy?
Regardless, I think we had a lovely break from it all, but it was also nice to come home to the quiet. I probably think my sister appreciated the calm after the storm also, not that she would ever say so.
D spends time after each family encounter analysing the different relationships between people. It's quite interesting to hear his impressions.

No comments: